Benefits of Pumpkin Seeds (Pepitas)
Do you love pumpkin seeds (pepitas)? Here are some great reasons to add them to your diet.
1. Pumpkin seeds are high in Magnesium, which is a mineral that a lot of Western diets lack. Nearly 80% of adults in the USA have less than the recommended daily amount. Magnesium helps your body in a lot of ways. Just a few examples are controlling blood pressure, regulating blood sugar levels, and reducing the risk of heart disease.
2. Pepitas contain a lot of antioxidants, zinc, magnesium (as stated above), and fatty acids. All of these are really good for your heart.
3. Seeing as pumpkin seeds are a great source of dietary fiber, they help aide in digestion.
4. Having trouble hitting the hay? Pepitas also contain tryptophan, which is an amino acid that helps you sleep better. Magnesium also does this. ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
5. Pumpkin seeds have been shown to reduce symptoms of BPH (Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia) and to treat symptoms of overactive bladder. In other words, if you have the urge to pee frequently, taking 10g of pumpkin seed extract will help regulate it so that you don't.
6. Pepitas contain a rich source of zinc as well, which is great for a multitude of functions such as boosting immunity, cell growth, and your mood! ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
I love getting raw pumpkin seeds, as they are perfect for sweet or savory foods. I love sprinkling pumpkin seeds over my salads or smoothie bowls. They're also great for making my homemade pumpkin seed almond milk (the recipe is on my previous post). ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
How do you like to eat these wonderfully nutritious little treats? Comment below, I'd love to hear your ideas!
*This post contains affiliate links*