Pumpkin Seed (Pepita) Almond Milk
I'm currently obsessed with this milk. It is very mild, so it's great for coffee. Last week, I even created a roux with it to make some devilishly good vegan mac & cheese.
I've stopped buying vegan milks, as most of them come in packaging that is hard to recycle in my community. Plus, it's great for me to be able to control the amount of sugar it contains. In fact, I prefer to make them without sweeteners.
Also, I like to make combinations of nut/seed milks because they yield a great balance of flavor. Most of the ones I see in the stores always have a strong flavor of Almond or Coconut, etc. ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
- 1/2 cup almonds
- 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds (pepitas)
- 3 cups filtered water
- (Optional) 1-2 teaspoons sweetener
- (Optional) 1/2 teaspoon vanilla⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
1. Soak almonds and pumpkin seeds overnight in room temperature water. I prefer using a large mason jar with the lid on for this.
2. The next morning, drain and rinse out with cold water.
3. Pour the pumpkin seeds and almonds into the blender along with the filtered water.
4. Blend on high for 1 minute or longer, depending on your blender, until everything is super smooth.
5. Pass the blended milk through a nutmilk bag or a clean kitchen towel.
6. Enjoy in your daily cup o' joe!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
I find that this stays fresh for about 3 days in the fridge. This is why I prefer to make small quantities.
If you want to learn more about Pepitas and their nutritional benefits, check out this handy dandy chart I made.
If you try out this milk, let me know if you like it! I'd love to hear your thoughts and whatever additions you added.
*This post contains affiliate links*