Dalgona Dirty Chai Latte (Dalgona Coffee Spinoff)
I'm sure you have heard about this miracle whipped coffee by now, called Dalgona Coffee which is made up of equal parts instant coffee, sugar, and hot water. These are whipped together to form this creamy substance, which you can pour over your favorite vegan milk.
Here's a twist on the classic: a Dalgona Dirty Chai Latte.
It's super simple: all we have to do is (1) make super-concentrated masala chai and (2) use it in place of water to whip up the Dalgona cream.
Without further ado, let's get into the details…
Serves: 4 small shots or 2 large glasses
· 1/4 cup water
· 1 tablespoon chai powder (or black tea powder) - you may also use 3 black tea bags if you don't have the loose powder
· 1/4 teaspoon of ground ginger
· 2 cardamom pods
· 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
· Pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
· 1 clove or a pinch of ground cloves (optional)
· 1 tablespoon instant coffee
· 3 tablespoons sugar (brown or white)
· 2 tablespoons chai concentrate
1. In the tiniest pot you have, over medium heat, pour in the chai concentrate ingredients. Stir to combine. Let it come to a boil, then lower your heat to let it steep for another 5 minutes.
2. After about 5 minutes, it's going to reduce and there will be very little water left. Turn off the heat.
3. Strain through a fine-mesh sieve. Really press down to get every little drop of that delicious chai concentrate. You should end up with ~2 tablespoons (if not, you can add just a bit more water).
4. If you're ready to make the whipped chai, heat this concentrate for ~15 seconds in the microwave.
5. In a large mixing bowl, sprinkle in the instant coffee powder, sugar, and the hot chai concentrate.
6. Beat on high speed for ~3 minutes, occasionally turning the bowl. It should whip up into soft peaks.
7. To serve, pour some nondairy milk in your glass (you can make it hot or cold). Spoon over that delicious whipped chai. Mix thoroughly before drinking.
Maybe dust some cinnamon over the top of that luscious cream.
Add a little maple syrup if you desire it to be super sweet.
I personally don't like it to be too sweet, so the classic ratio was actually way too much for me. It may seem like that 3 tablespoons is a lot, but trust me… we are using the equivalent of 6 servings of instant coffee and tea here. It'll actually be pretty bittersweet if you used brown sugar like I did. You may not need anything extra if you use white sugar.
I tried experimenting a lot with this, and unfortunately, you really do need that instant coffee powder. Otherwise, it won't whip up properly.
I hope you make this Dalgona Dirty Chai Latte for yourself!
Please tag me on Instagram @AHSUSTAINABLELIFE if you make it! I'd love to see your creation!